Sunday, August 3, 2008

Taste of China

Well, this is my first review of a resturant. That being said, I'm a little dissappointed. I have tried some really delicious resturants in the past few months while visiting Iowa City, but the events are not fresh enough for me to do the resturants credit. Instead I'm reviewing the resturant I attended tonight, A Taste of China.

My girlfriend and I found this resturant while looking for some chinese. We are crusing along whatever street is hwy 6 in Coralville and spot Taste of China next to Hy-Vee. So, us looking for some new chinese resturant decide to stop. In we walk to be greeted by what looked like a cook reading a magazine and the cashier watching tennis on television. We peruse the menu and go with Steamed Dumplings, Moo Shu Beef and Ma Bo Spicy Bean Curd.

When we got the food we found generic chinese food. No flair, nothing to suggest any excellent culinary skills; merely we were presented with bland chinese food. Not to say that it was bad, just not to our high gastronomic standards. The only thing that really, really disappointed me was the steamed dumplings. I don't know what was going on, it was as if all the flavor had been washed away. My girl and I think they might have been frozen at sometime. They were very poor, or at least on my scale of food preferences.

I want to reiterate that some people may enjoy it. There was a fair amount of non-adventerous eaters (not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that) who came through and ordered: vegetable lo mein, sesame chicken, egg rolls, and crab rangoons. I kid you not at least three people ordered that combination of chinese food. Some added things like General Tzu's Chicken, but nothing out of the ordinary "steriotypical" chinese food.

Anyway, the resturant was alright, just nothing that impressed us. We probably won't be going back. That isn't to say that, in the event of a guest looking for generic chinese food, we wouldn't suggest it.

No comments: